Thursday, January 1, 2015

How to Dispose of a Turkey



So I told you that I made a turkey last weekend. And I did! I used this recipe and tips from my dear mother and it turned out just beautifully. So Saturday night, we had turkey and sweet potatoes and green beans for dinner! And then I had a large turkey to put in the fridge.

Cue Sunday dinner. And I made soup! My very own recipe that was so delicious, I thought I'd share it. :)

Turkey, Kale and Potato Soup

Ingredients:
- Shredded Turkey
- 2 brown potatoes, halved and sliced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- Several baby carrots, chopped
- 1/2 an onion, cut in wedges
- 2 kale stalks, leaves stripped and chopped
- Water
- Tablespoon minced garlic
- Tablespoon herbs provence
- 3 Chicken bouillon cubes

Directions:
- Put turkey, potatoes, celery, carrots and onion in a large pot.
- Fill with water until it just covers vegetables.
- Add garlic, herbs and bouillon cubes.
- Cover and put on high heat until boiling.
- Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are cooked through.
- Add kale leaves and stir.
- Enjoy!

It is delicious. Seriously. I ate it for dinner Sunday night and then for lunch on Monday. 

Okay, so when I made this soup, I stripped our turkey the best I could of all the meat, used some for the soup and put some in the fridge for sandwiches and such. Then the leftovers (bones, etc.) went in the crock pot to try this recipe for turkey stock. That cooked overnight and Monday morning, I came down to a wonderful smell and the beautiful stock in the picture above. I think I'm in love with cooking turkeys now. Plus I feel very frugal and domestic.

Have you ever cooked a turkey? Have you ever made stock? Can I have your secret recipes that you don't usually give to people?

No comments :

Post a Comment