Thursday, April 7, 2016

4 Picnic Styles: The Classic Picnic


While Indiana may not be so cooperative when it comes to warm weather, this cold can't last forever. And when it gets warm for good, we'll welcome picnic season! I love picnics. Whether spontaneous or planned, we've used them for dates and road trip stops and Sunday afternoon lunches. In our meal packing, I've discovered that you can be just as creative with your picnic menus as you can in the kitchen. That might sound silly, but it was an epiphany for me! So this month, I hope to inspire you with some different picnic menus that will get you eating outdoors. First up, the Classic Picnic.


Avocado Tuna Salad Sandwich -  I have a confession to make. I don't like peanut butter. Stone me if you will. But because of this, I don't take the classic PBJs on our picnics. Grilled cheese is a favorite but I love the idea of an avocado tuna salad sandwich like this. Toasted so the bread is crispy and the cheese a little melty.

Basil Pesto Hummus - Slices of veggies are a great picnic option since they're easy to eat wherever you are. Taking some hummus along for dipping might help anti-veggie eaters to have a carrot.

Baked Veggie Chips - Speaking of veggies, how about trading your bag of potato chips for veggie chips? They're really easy to make yourself and a much healthier option.

Honey Roasted Almonds - Yes, it's easier to take along a pack of Oreos for dessert. But these Honey Roasted Almonds sound like a delicious alternative to full out sugar. They'll be just sweet enough to satisfy your sweet tooth and be healthier than cookies.

Watermelonade - A picnic isn't a picnic without lemonade. I'm definitely trying this twist on lemonade as soon as watermelon is in season!

What's your go to picnic food?

(Top image via Sadie Olive)

1 comment :