Wednesday, January 7, 2015

2015 Resolutions



I've never been a fan of "resolutions". I prefer to make "goals" at the beginning of the year. What's the difference you ask? I looked up the definitions for you:

Resolution: a firm decision to do or not to do something

Goal: the object of a person's ambition or effort; an aim or desired result

So why do I prefer goals? Because resolutions require an instant change. "I'm going to lose 50 pounds this year," and you exercise and eat right for a month before life gets of the way and then you feel guilty about the Ben and Jerry's. I don't think resolutions work. However, to set a goal for yourself requires making a plan of action to get there. It's a journey, not an instant change. 

Okay, now that I've lectured you, I'll tell you about my goals for this new year!

1. I want to spend less time on my phone. Now that I'm a freelance writer, I spend a lot of time in front of a screen, so I end up missing out on life while I'm playing Sims in my free time. Not to mention I have headaches more frequently. To start this, I deleted the majority of the games on my phone. (Goodbye Sims.) What I've got left are Two Dots and a few other games that don't require me to play every day to achieve the next level or get my daily coin bonus. You know what games I'm talking about.

2. I want to read more. And actually, I have two parts to this goal. First, I want to read a book a month. Considering how much I love to read and how much less time I should be spending on my phone, this seems achievable! Second, up to this point in my life, my books have mostly consisted of fiction. While I don't think that's bad, I think it's time to widen the spectrum. Considering how much I love history, I thought biographies would be a good place to start! This month, I've started Mrs. Robert E. Lee and I think it will prove a challenge, but a good one!

3. Blogging! As you may have noticed, I've been blogging more of late. I would love to be able to grow my blog enough to make a bit of money by it someday, but I really just love to write about what interests me! So this year, I want to blog more. Hopefully I'll gain more followers and start getting some comments, but I'll definitely up my content.

4. I want to go biking.... more often. If you know me well, you know I don't really enjoy exercising. Swimming is my favorite and that's hard to come by (if not impossible). However, Dearest Carl loves to ride bikes and he tells me he'd rather ride with me than by himself. So this goal is more to encourage him to do something he loves, rather than my own benefit. And he can be my partner here. :)

5. I want to grow my faith. If you make resolutions, this may be on yours as well. I think this past year I've been better about regular devotions but there is always room for improvement. 

So there. I've shared. Now I have some accountability, right? ;)

Do you make resolutions? Would you share some with me?

(Image from Free People)

1 comment :

  1. I wanted to spend better quality time with the boys, grow my faith as well, become closer to my husband, keep the orders coming with my business and try to enjoy each day. :)

    ReplyDelete