Wednesday, November 4, 2015

I'm Thankful For...

God knew exactly what He was doing when He gave me this man. Dearest Carl and I are opposite in so many ways and it's taken me too long to realize that it's such a good thing. His perfectionist ways fill in where I quit and encourage me to persevere. His music preferences keeps me listening to soundtracks. His energizer bunny example pushes me to be more productive with my time. His tendency to make slow decisions helps me to slow down in mine. I know Tim Hawkins kind of ruined this phrase for me and my family, but my husband truly has a servants heart. Yes, the stacking chairs kind. And I will always be motivated to be a better wife for him because he deserves one!

It may seem silly, but I'm so thankful for Charlie. Those long whiskers have given me so many smiles and laughter when it was much needed. I love starting the day with "kitty lovin's" (aka, rubbing all over our legs to say good morning) and watching him play with Roger (his mouse toy). I love how he greets us in the laundry room when we come home from anywhere. I love how he has to be involved in whatever Dearest Carl is doing. I love the friendliness he shows to everyone who comes over. I love how he sits at the bottom of the stairs when it gets too late, telling us it's time for bed. He is the best kitty in the world.


When Dearest Carl and I were in the final months before our wedding, preparing our apartment and packing our belongings, I came across this quote by Jani Ortlund: “I believe that a godly home is a foretaste of heaven. Our homes, imperfect as they are, must be a haven from the chaos outside. They should be a reflection of our eternal home, where troubled souls find peace, weary hearts find rest, hungry bodies find refreshment, lonely pilgrims find communion, and wounded spirits find compassion.” That spoke straight to my heart (and still does!). I wanted to create a home that was all these things for my husband, for me, for our families, and for anyone else who shared our space. That dream has moved with me from our one bedroom, yellow painted kitchen, tiny apartment to a real home of our own. It has been such a pleasure to create so many memories here! Hosting both our families for Mother's Day, playing Settlers of Catan with friends, roasting marshmallows over a backyard bonfire, friends staying in our spare bedroom. This great big house has been a real blessing from God and I am so thankful for the space to bless others with it!

1 comment :