Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Cooking with Casey Crocker


Wintertime means cozy food. I mean, you don't exactly yearn for salad when it's below freezing outside. So I went to thoughts of cozy when planning for this session. Here's what I landed on!


Fried Chicken

Ingredients:
- 6-8 thawed chicken legs
- Bowlful of buttermilk (probably about 2 cups)
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 3-4 cups Vegetable Oil

Directions:
- Pour vegetable oil in a large pan, cover and turn on heat medium high.
- Combine flour and seasonings in a plastic bag. Shake to combine.
- Dunk chicken legs in buttermilk. Then place them in the bag of flour mixture and toss until coated.
- Once oil is hot, carefully place floured chicken legs in the pan.
- Cook on medium high, turning once or twice, until the outside coating is completely browned and crispy.
- Reduce heat to medium low, cover and continue to cook until meat is cooked through, turning occasionally. (You'll have to tear into one of your beautiful chicken legs to make sure it's cooked through.)
- Serve with sides of your choice!







There really are two reasons why I decided on this recipe. One, homemade fried chicken takes me back to my grandma's kitchen and her best friend chicken in the whole wide world. Just the smell is nostalgic for me! Two, Olivia mentioned when we began this adventure that she had never made it before. So I thought it's about time she knew! She took some pretty great pictures too. Find them here!

I know I found this recipe online someplace but since then I've written it in my cookbook so I can't provide the original link. That's also the reason for the flexible instructions. Sorry guys.

I seriously hope this gets on your table before Spring! Hint, it goes great with corn on the cob in the summertime too! Better get practicing!

No comments :

Post a Comment